Nigeria being a developing country in West Africa has opened lots of opportunities to its citizens to start, grow and earn money in their entrepreneurship journey. This list is focusing on just 20 famous entrepreneurs in Nigeria.
Since we are talking about entrepreneurs, this list is restricted to entrepreneurs only. Politicians and individuals whose source of wealth cannot be traced are excluded from this list. The list contains their name and the industry in which they are famous in as a result of their success.
The criteria for coming up with this list
I compiled this list based on the following criteria:
- By the worth of their shares held in quoted companies.
- The impact of their companies on the Nigerian economy
- The market value of their company’s brand
- The number of companies they own and its assumed value
- The size and market share of their companies
So instead of boring you with their success stories; I’ve extracted the vital lessons learned from the life of these famous entrepreneurs. If you are ready to learn, below is a list of the Nigerian famous entrepreneurs and top richest people in Nigeria.
Nigerian’s Top 20 Famous Entrepreneurs in Nigeria 2015 (in Alphabetical order)
- Alhaji Aliko Dangote – Dangote Group, (Manufacturing, oil & gas,)
- Alhaji Sayyu Dantata – MRS Group (Oil & gas, construction)
- Chief Ade Ojo – Elizade Motors Nig LTD (Auto retailing)
- Chief Cletus Ibeto – Ibeto Group (Trading, manufacturing, oil & gas)
- Chief Molade Okoya Thomas – Chairman CFAO Nig and other six French companies (Automobiles)
- Cosmos Maduka – Coscharis Group (Automobile, manufacturing)
- Dele Fajemirokun – Chaiman Aiico Insurance, Xerox Nigeria, Chicken Republic, Kings Guards (Insurance, Security, Technology, Food retailing)
- Femi Otedola – Forte Oil and Gas (Oil & gas)
- Fola Adeola – GTBank (Banking)
- Hakeem Bello Osagie – Etisalat Nigeria (Telecom)
- Jim Ovia – Zenith Bank, Visafone (Banking, Telecom)
- Jimoh Ibrahim – Nicon Insurance, Global Fleet (Insurance, transportation, oil & gas)
- Leo Stan Ekeh – Zinox (Computer, technology)
- Mike Adenuga – Conoil, Globacom (Oil & gas, Banking, Telecom)
- Oba Otudeko – Honeywell Group Nigeria, Pivotal Engineering, Airtel (Manufacturing, oil & gas, telecom)
- Orji Uzor Kalu – Slok Group (Aviation, Shipping, publishing, manufacturing)
- Pascal Dozie – MTN Nigeria, Diamond Bank (Banking, Telecom)
- Prince Samuel Adedoyin – Doyin Group (manufacturing, pharmaceuticals)
- Tony Ezenna – Orange Group (Pharmaceutical, oil & gas)
- Umaru Abdul Mutallab – former Chairman First Bank Plc, Mutallab Group
- Vincent Amaechi Obianodo – Young Shall Grow Motors, RockView Hotels (Transportation, hotels)
Despite the harsh terrain and business challenges involved with starting a business in Nigeria; the successful entrepreneurs listed above held their ground ansd fought their way to the top. In a country with a population of over 170 million inhabitants and millions of businesses; these 20 entrepreneurs diligently carved their names in the sands of time by taking advantage of the fastest growing business opportunities in Nigeria.
The famous entrepreneurs in Nigeria are dogged in guts. They are strong willed and unrelenting. Success is not an option to these set of individuals in fact it’s a must. These individuals refuse to be held down by circumstance; instead, they reached out for their inner strength and went for success.
Above all, these entrepreneurs don’t take no for an answer; they basically say no to giving up and that was why they succeed.
By David Oladejo for News of Nigeria